In this article, we have reviewed 7 best cameras for music videos in the market along with a comparison table and a detailed buyer’s guide to help you choose the best camera possible for your needs.
If you are trying to find your way to shoot the best music video, the tech piece that you will be going to need the most is a professional camera. There are multiple choices that are available in the market and it’s very important for you to choose the one that is also being used by the professionals.
It can be quite a difficult task to get the perfect camera for you and on that note. We are providing you with some of the best cameras for music videos. The music videos are getting more and more common, thanks to some of the YouTube channels.
Getting a professional and high-quality music video is said to be a quicker way to get some subscribers.
The very basic factor that you should keep in mind is that if you are going to get a camera specifically for the music videos, there is no need to focus on the audio part. It’s time we dive into the reviews of some cameras that you can buy and will not regret the decision.
7 Best Cameras for Music Videos in 2022:
As the music industry is booming and the basic equipment are also available at an affordable price point, there are many people who got the opportunity of showcasing their talent.
Talking about the platform, YouTube is the best one and it can easily make your content reach the targeted audience.
If you’re in a hurry, then take a look at the comparison table below to get an idea of the best cameras for music videos:
1. Nikon D500 DSLR Camera
The camera is capable of giving you the best results when it comes to shooting stable and crisp videos. With the lens having 20.9 MP, the camera comes with very high light-sensitivity. The ISO on this camera can go all the way up to 1640000.
The construction of the camera is quite rugged where you will also get a vertical grip to give you more stable shots. You will also get to record at 10 FPS for approximately 200 frames.
The screen that is provided to you by Nikon on this camera will be of 3.2” and you will also be able to tilt it according to you. The camera will give you the option to record 4K videos at 30 FPS. The camera body will also give you the audio port where you can put in the microphone so that the audio can be monitored in a much better way.
Nikon D500 also allows you to connect to other devices quite easily using the onboard Wi-Fi and Bluetooth. On the storage front, you will be able to use both the SDXC, as well as XDQ memory cards.
On the AF side, the camera will give you a whopping 153 AF points. There is one thing that you should note that there is no in-built flash on this camera. You may not need it though as you will be using a whole other lighting setup.
- The camera offers a very good autofocus system that you will find quite helpful while shooting.
- The XDQ storage support will give you much better read and write speeds.
- The Bluetooth connectivity provided by Nikon on this camera is also quite reliable and you can transfer pictures and videos to your smart devices easily.
- The camera gives you a very clear and crisp output up to 4K and you can also tweak the ISO completely according to you. With a native 51200, it can go all the way up to 1640000.
- The camera doesn’t provide any in-built flash or lighting.
2. Canon Mark IV EOS 5D Camera
When it comes to shooting the music videos, you will need to go through a lot of action and the camera should be capable of capturing it all in a very smooth manner. Since this series has been introduced, there are some very significant improvements that we have witnessed.
As the camera is quite compact and easy to carry, you can also set it up as a very high-end webcam for all your meetings or streaming.
Canon Mark IV EOS 5D offers a wide range of features and functionalities. The camera is not only one of the best cameras for music videos, but you will also be able to use it for static pictures.
The 30.4 MP of this camera will give you very detailed pictures and you will get the ISO range from a minimum of 100 to all the way up to 32000. The monitor that you will get on this screen will have an LCD panel and will offer you a great touch sensitivity.
The auto-focusing mechanism on this camera comes with 61 points and you will be able to shift the focus quite smoothly. Thanks to the wide ISO range, you will get a very good focusing in the night as well.
- The 4 MP sensor on this camera will be able to capture better images. It will also be helpful in good video shots.
- The WiFi connectivity on this camera is also quite good and you will be able to transfer the files to your smart devices fast.
- The AF system is also upgraded and you will get a smooth focus shift just by tapping on the monitor.
- The microphone on the camera is also quite good and will give you a very good noise cancellation.
- The ISO sensitivity on this camera could have been better.
- The camera is priced quite high and you will have to pay extra for the lenses.
3. Panasonic 4K Lumix GH5 Digital Camera
The camera comes with all the professional-level features and you will get a very intuitive interface to work with. The videos will come with 4K resolution and the sensor is also the non-crop one where it will reduce a lot of effort while post-processing.
The camera will sport a 20.3 MP sensor where you will get full-size HDMI and the SD card slot. It will support the UHS-II card that will ensure faster read and write speeds.
The construction of the camera has been done by a magnesium-alloy material which will allow you smooth operation up to 10-degrees. Panasonic will also give fully sealed buttons that will make this camera dust and splash-proof.
The video capture will be the one where you will get up to 4K resolution and the static pictures can be shot up to 6K resolution. The maximum ISO that you will get on this Panasonic camera will go all the way up to 25600.
The ISO will help you in getting well-lit shots, especially at night. On the stabilization front, the camera comes with a 5-axis gyroscope that will help you in getting much more stable shots. The stabilization will allow you to not use the tripod and get much better results hand-held.
The reason this Panasonic 4K Lumix is added in the list of some of the best cameras for music videos due to its comparatively affordable price point.
- The auto-focusing on this camera is quite advanced where you will be able to get the objects in focus just by tapping on the LCD.
- The HDMI port on the camera will allow you to get live output on any screen.
- The options that you will get on the viewfinder are quite vast and you will be able to get a summarized configuration detail.
- The touch sensitivity of the LCD panel is quite good and you will be able to get the full view without getting cropped, thanks to the full-frame sensor.
- There is no flash provided on the camera and you may find it a bit hard sometimes while getting some quick shots.
4. Nikon D5600 DSLR Camera
If you are a bit tight on the budget but trying to spend any amount for a mid-ranger, this one from Nikon can be a very good option. The camera falls between the models D3200 and D7100.
The camera sports Expeed 3 processor that will help you in getting HD shots. The focusing mechanism is also quite advanced and you will get to focus instantly without any delay. The LCD on the camera comes with the tilting so you can adjust it completely according to you.
The ISO range on this camera will be 100-6400 but in case you want to expand it, it can go all the way up to 25600. The AF on this camera is capable of capturing very crisp shots. It is also capable of detecting up to 35 faces in case of a group photo.
If you are facing a music video, the camera’s D4 processor is capable of recording up to 5 FPS which will help you in capturing fast moves quite easily.
The expanded ISO levels on this camera will allow you to capture the shots with almost no noise. The WiFi and Bluetooth on the camera will help you in transferring the files swiftly to your smart devices.
The camera will also pack an 18-55mm lens which can be used for almost all the landscape shots.
- The 24 MP CMOS sensor on the camera will give you very crisp shots. It will also be the full sensor.
- The camera1 interface will give you several filters and it will give you some space to experiment with the colors and the looks.
- The camera body will also give you a mic port where you can put for better results.
- The auto-focusing experience on the camera will be much enhanced, thanks to the detailed view-finder.
- Nothing worth mentioning.
5. Canon Mirrorless EOS M50 Camera
If you are enthusiastic about getting the music video done, you should not feel constrained with the budget. When it comes to Canon, you will get some very feature-rich cameras in the budget segment.
The camera will give you the recording up to 1080p and the quality will be very crisp and clear. The camera sensor that you will find on this camera will be an 18 MP one. EOS M50 will also sport NFC alongside Wi-Fi to help you in transferring the pictures and videos quite easily.
The monitor that is present on this camera will be a 3-inch unit which will also be a touch-screen and you will also be tilted at 180-degrees. It will be helpful in focusing better while you are holding the camera at odd angles.
The ISO range that you will get on this camera will range between 100-12800. However, if you want to go even further, you can always expand it up to 25600.
This whopping level of ISO will allow you to get some very clear and well-lit shots even at night. As you can also drop down the ISO to a good extent, you will be able to get some well-exposed shots even in harsh lighting. The camera’s FDAF will give you the ability to get some very smooth shots of fast dance moves at 4.0FPS.
- The sensor that is present on the camera will be the 18 MP one and advanced auto-focus mechanism.
- The build quality of the camera is also quite sturdy and it will also not be a very heavy-weighted body.
- The design of this camera is quite compact as it’s a quite sleek one that can easily fit in your pocket without the lens.
- The price of the camera is also completely justified by the range of features that it has to offer.
- Due to its compact size, the camera comes with no viewfinder and it can be deal-breaking for a lot of people.
6. Blackmagic 4K Pocket Design Camera
This can easily be the camera that fits all the requirements a professional can ever need. Blackmagic 4K Pocket camera is known for its exceptional low-light performance where you will also get a very good HDR.
Though the brand isn’t quite old yet, it has managed to easily find a very good reputation among big players, all thanks to its high-end performance. Considering the size, the camera has way many features to offer.
The camera sports full-size HDMI support that will allow you to get the live output on a bigger screen rather than just looking at the smaller 5-inch touch-screen.
You can set the camera to the music video mode and then Blackmagic OS will take over from there to give you the best settings configuration that’s needed to get the best possible output. The camera might seem bulkier to you in the image but it’s actually pretty lightweight, thanks to the carbon fiber construction.
The primary reason to add this Blackmagic offering in the list of some of the best cameras for music videos is its 4K 60FPS recording capability. The sensor is also the full-frame one that shoots without any cropping.
- The camera is the first choice for various YouTube creators out there for their music videos.
- The 5-inch screen of this Blackmagic camera will give you a very clear output and you will also be able to actually see what’s being recorded.
- This 4K camera will allow you to use cinematic lenses as well. If you want, the camera can also outperform many other cameras for static pictures.
- The lightweight build and the presence of all the accessory ports will allow you to use it for multiple purposes.
- You will not find continuous AF.
7. Sony Alpha a6000 Mirrorless Camera
When we talk about the cameras and lenses, it’s impossible to not talk about or include Sony in the discussion. Sony cameras are known for their best-in-class performance, especially for color accuracy.
The camera is equipped with the Bionz-X processor that will make sure that you get the best performance, no matter what. Not only this, but the camera will also sport 99 points PDAF which will help you in better and precise focusing.
The AF speed claimed by the brand is 0.06 seconds which is extremely fast and you will be able to shift focus by tapping the highly-sensitive OLED touch-screen panel. The screen can also be tilted according to you.
You will also get a viewfinder alongside it in case you want to get even a clear and crisp shot. The screen will not be able to convey what you are capturing when compared to the viewfinder.
- The camera package will include an eyepiece that you can install on the camera’s viewfinder to be able to use it in a better way.
- The ISO range that you will get on this camera will be 100-25600 and you will be able to further increase it to 51200.
- The size of the camera is quite compact and you will be able to carry it very easily. The camera will also sport Bluetooth and Wi-Fi for easy and quick transferring of the photos and videos.
- The shutter speed on this camera is also pretty fast and you will be able to get some very good action pictures and videos taken.
- The camera can only record up to 1080p 60 FPS.
Key features to look for while buying the best cameras for music videos:
When it comes to choosing the camera for your video needs, it’s quite difficult to choose one. There are various manufacturers that are providing the cameras that can be used for both the static pictures, as well as video. However, there are some points you should keep in mind while making the purchase.
This is the most important factor when it comes to getting the camera. As the cameras can go way higher and you may not necessarily need them. You should first decide your budget and then step out in the market to search for the one.
A music video should be crisp and smooth. Make sure that the camera you are going to buy is capable of providing you the resolution up to 4K. It will also give you a lot of space to experiment with the quality and use the exact resolution according to the shot.
When it comes to shooting videos, especially music videos, auto-focus is the feature that can put even an average camera in the list of ‘Best Cameras for Music Videos’. The auto-focusing capabilities of the camera should also be able to provide accuracy.
The camera that you are buying should also be compatible with all types of lenses and it will actually be quite helpful when it comes to swapping lenses for different shots in varying angles.
Concluding with our recommendations!
It’s obvious that you are in a dilemma while choosing the best camera for you. Though we have provided you with the features that you need to look out for, it can still be a lot confusing and we completely understand that. Shooting a music video is a very tiring and hectic task in itself.
You should leave your worries about choosing the best camera for us. For those who are still not sure which one to pick, we are here with 2 recommendations.
The first one you can buy is the Nikon D5600. This one is not only good in terms of features but will also fit your budget quite easily. The brand is known for its excellent performance in videography and this camera is no exception.
The second one that you can buy from the aforementioned list of best cameras for music videos is BlackMagic 4K Pocket Design Camera. This camera falls on a pricier side but its construction is done by keeping videography solely in mind.
If the budget allows, this one can be a very good choice to go for. Both the cameras can be used by either a professional or a beginner as the interface is quite easy to learn. Happy filming!
FAQs to clear some chaos…
Which camera to buy, DSLR or Mirrorless?
If your focus is primarily on getting some highly stable shots, we recommend going with mirrorless cameras. However, both technologies are capable of providing great results.
Will tripods offer any help?
Yes, a tripod turns out to be quite helpful, especially for beginners. As they don’t have any solid experience, having a tripod will eliminate all the blurry and shaky shots.
Is there anything else required other than the camera for a shoot?
Yes, the most important thing while shooting anything, be it static pictures or videos, will be the lighting. Along with it, you will also need a loud high-quality speaker to play the music.